Most have already heard the breaking news concerning the Paris attacks on November 13th, 2015. The city of Paris, France, was attacked Friday, leaving 129 people dead, over 350 people injured. ISIS has claimed responsibility for the Paris attacks, although it has yet to be verified.
ISIS Releases Video Today To “Carry Out Attacks In France”
ISIS did release an undated video today urging Muslims who are unable to wage holy war in Syria to carry out attacks in France, according to an unclassified FBI document. “Indeed, you have been ordered to fight the infidel wherever you find him,” an unidentified ISIS militant says in the video. “What are you waiting for? There are weapons and cars available, and targets ready to be hit.”
Social Media #parisattacks
Several took to Twitter using #parisattacks, more less mocking concerned citizens in the country and world. Social media instantly fired back, showing strong support across the globe for the city of Paris and for the country of France.
The official death toll is at least 129 people, with 352 injured.
ISIS has claimed responsibility for the Nov. 13 coordinated assault that spanned six locations and involved at least seven terror suspects. Six of the attackers were suicide bombers, authorities said. French police are hunting possible accomplices.
French President Francois Hollande called the attacks an “act of war” and vowed a “merciless” response.
TIMELINE: How the Horror Unfolded in Paris
Arrest Made In Belgium
Three people were arrested in Belgium, where police had traced a rented Polo car with a Belgian license plate that was seen arriving at the Bataclan music hall, Paris prosecutor Francois Molins confirmed.
An attacker identified by fingerprints was born in 1985 in France, had previously been found guilty of several crimes “and was considered a radicalized person,” Molins said, according to the France 24 translation.
Molins confirmed that a Syrian passport that was found at the Stade de France site, for a person born in 1990.
He added that the attackers used “war-type weapons” including Kalashnikov rifles and identical explosive devices that used “TATP,” a type of volatile explosive. He said that the devices had identical buttons for triggering the devices.
Sequence Of Paris Attacks And Timeline
The first casualties reported were around 9:20 p.m. local time, when a suicide bomber and another person who was standing nearby died in an explosion outside the Stade de France, Molins says.
The next part of the attack unfolded outside of cafes, where assailants in a Seat car opened fire on people, Molins said, relaying instances of hundreds of bullet casings being found at several scenes.
Twenty minutes after the initial attack, gunmen entered the Bataclan concert hall and opened fire on the crowd there, Molins said, later adding that 89 people died at the venue.
Molins added that as they attacked, the terrorists also mentioned Syria and Iraq.
Molins said that the inquiry is still only in its early phases, adding that there are multiple lines of investigation ongoing.
Update at 1:12 p.m. ET: 129 Killed, Paris Prosecutor Says
The death toll in Friday’s coordinated and ruthless attack on six different targets in and around Paris has risen to 129, with more than 300 people injured, according to Paris prosecutor Francois Molins.
He added that the number could continue to fluctuate, due to the number of people who were badly hurt.
Original NPR post continues:
Earlier Saturday, Belgium’s Justice Minister Koen Geens said that police had carried out “multiple searches and arrests” related to a Belgian license plate on a car that was reportedly used in Friday night’s attacks.
Belgian newspaper The Last Hour has reported that police are interested in three young people who may have been involved in the terrorist attack.